Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Wrestler, and I Spit on Your Grave

Alright...my first movie reviews...scary...

-sigh- Well here goes. Alright, the Wrestler is a great movie. A great film that I didn't like, but a great film nonetheless.

The setup is that Randy the Ram is an aging professional wrestler, and while you may take that lightly, it's not a joke. I'll say this much, I never really thought much of pro wrestlers, but after seeing this I'd like to support them more. It really tackles some issues in life that I love to see addressed, and I really think that people can take a lot away from the movie. If I tell you any more about it, it'll be ruined for you though. Like I said, it's a great movie, but I didn't like it. Not because of it's quality, but because it's what I expect from Darren Aronofsky.

Don't get me wrong, he's made some of my favorite films, but for those of you who have seen Requiem for a Dream or The Fountain, won't be surprised by this movie's content. Once again, I have to drive the point home here, this is a great movie to watch, but I found it predictable considering the director. Kind of makes me fear for the Robocop remake...a little at least.

I Spit on Your Grave on the other hand, I've got no problem expounding upon. This movie is pretty vile I've got to say, and I'm not very squeamish. I was recommended it by a friend of mine, but I was expecting something different.

Honestly, I can see the merit in it's creation, but it was poorly executed. This movie prides itself on it's lengthy rape scene, which in a sick way delivers on its promise. It did make me feel disgusted, and made me feel disgusting actually sitting there to take it in.

I don't recommend this movie in any way, shape or form, unless you really need to get some horror history under your belt. And unless you're a complete freak like myself, you don't need that much horror history.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to give anything scaled ratings, I think that sort of defeats the purpose of reading anything. Well, that's my review virginity. Maybe I'll take this down after I realize how bad I am at this ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment