Sunday, February 8, 2009

Review: Wendy & Lucy

Another good evening blogsphere,

Then again what's good and bad is a questionable subject isn't it? Fashionable Nonsense is progressing along well, and I'll probably have much more to show at the end of the month. I'm also working on the beginnings of two other projects, to which I'll post through text and a few character designs, but I digress.

It's been a bit since I actually did a movie review hasn't it?

Once again, I've watched so many that I've pretty much lost track. I will mention the two that surprised me the most, the latter being Taken starring Liam Nissen. While it's very much an action movie that screams 80's throwback (honestly, I was almost surprised not to see Steven Segal just charge in and break someone's neck for good measure), it was surprisingly rousing to see Liam play such a character. The action was very much in the vein of the newer Bond films, and Bourne Identity, so it wasn't for the faint of heart or squeemish like myself. Lol. No really, get some drinks and rent it when it comes out on dvd.

Wendy and Lucy on the other hand, was a completely different animal altogether. I don't know how the hell Hollywood just chooses to sidestep films like these and Good Dick; real human drama, captured on film. For myself, the mark of a good film isn't in the suspension of disbelief, but how much one can actually see themselves in what's being portrayed. If I can understand a character's motivations and plight, sans monologue, flashback, or any other filmographic or literary device: I know I'm watching a good movie. Wendy and Lucy does this for me, and for the life of me I can't see why this didn't get any nod whatsoever.

The story is of a girl named Wendy, and her canine companion Lucy. They're on a road trip to Alaska to look for work, living out of Wendy's car on the way up, and just barely scraping by as they go. One day in their travels however, Wendy wakes up to find that her car won't start, and this is where things begin to take a turn. This movie is so very well done, I can't say enough. I really felt Wendy's struggle, and felt for her, more so than most movies I watch allow me to. Some might complain about the lack of backstory, or characters, but for myself I honestly just felt like I was meeting an actual person instead of a character for once. Definitely one of my favorites.

Anyway, that's all from me tonight blogsphere. I'll be back next time with colored pages and text from Fashionable Nonsense. Till then ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment